Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sustainability Visit

Question : What is your name and your role here at the farmers market  ?
Response :  My name is Tia Harrison and i am a vender here at the farmers market.
Question : Which company do you work for ?
Response : I work for Smit Orchards
Question : Why do you choose to shop here ?
Response : I choose to shop and sell here because it is better for the environment and because it is better for our health.

Question : Do you garden at home ?
Response : No not right now.
Question : What would  be your advice to get others to do what you do ?
Response : My advice would be to just try it out because it is the only way you are going to know if  you like it or not.
Question : What do you think is the most expensive piece of fruit ?
Response : i think that the strawberries are because they are grown naturally and its the good type not like the ones that you would usually buy from a supermarket.
Question : Where is your company located ?
Response : it's in Linden, Ca


1. What has Struck you about the location you visited? Was it what you expected, or very different?
   - Not that many things struck me because it was everything i expected but i did notice that there were different types of venders there. There wear venders who sold the fruits there were others who sold jewelry and some who sold food that was already made and they would also sell plants there as well.
2. Which items were cheaper than you expected? Which were more expensive? 
   - I thought that everything was cheap but i did notice as well that any type of berry was more expensive at the farmers market.
3. Do you think you will start going to a farmers market more often? Or using a community garden? Or supporting a CSA?
   - I think i will want to go to a farmers market because the produce looked more appealing  to me than produce at a regular supermarket. and because i know that it would be better for me and my family.
4. How do these locations fit into our essential questions of " Why Don't People Live More Sustainably?" and " How Can I Convince Them To Do So?" 
   - I think that these locations fit perfectly into those questions because after going to a community garden or a CSA or a farmers market you actually think why don't we live more sustainable and we know that the food is better but we still don't buy the food .



7 comments:

  1. I thought it was interesting that you said that the berries were more expensive. That seemed odd, but made sense, because they are probably better than grocery store berries and, I'm not sure, but might need more care than other vegetables. And berries taste amazing, too ;D One thing I liked was that you wanted to go to more farmers markets, because I think they are great for the community and the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you said that you thought that everything was going to be cheap but you notice that every type of berry was more expensive at the farmers market. :)


    Also it make me think a lot when you said that you were going to star going to the farmers market because it would be better for you and your family because I'm going start doing the same thing so me and my family would be =]



    Andd I also I agree with everything that you said.. =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. when you said, "I think that these locations fit perfectly into those questions because after going to a community garden or a CSA or a farmers market you actually think why don't we live more sustainable and we know that the food is better but we still don't buy the food." I agreed with you because its the truth and its unreasonasble y poeople dont buy this kind of food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jocelyn! I loved that you went to a typical Farmer's Market! I think that your trip went just as Charlotte wanted. You had, like, a perfect interview! When you said that the food appealed more to you it made me think because it made me think about what I would find appealing about a piece of produce. Then, I thought of my own Farmer's Market experience and realized that the food DID look more appetizing. I totally agree with your whole blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1.) I really liked how simple your interview was. It was inspiring because it made me believe that even the simplist most average person could get involved with sustainable living just like Tia did.

    2.) On #3 of your visit's reflection toward the end of the blog post, you mention that shopping at a Farmer's Market would be better for you and your family. This made me wonder what your reasons are for thinking that.

    3.) I like that in your blog post you used different color fonts for your questions and answers, it really made it a lot easier to differentiate between each section of the text.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was really glad to hear that you will be trying to shop more at farmer's markets as well as your reasoning behind it. I too would chose locally and organically grown foods to buy because they're better for me, not just because they are better for the environment. It seems like you took a lot out of the experience of going to that Farmer's Market and interviewing the vender. I also really enjoyed the formatting of your post. The colors and fonts made the post more readable and understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and I liked how you layed out the interview to go around the picture cause you can visualize the interview as you read it.

    nd i agree with you :)

    ReplyDelete